“The sessions were phenomenal; I felt relaxed, grounded, balanced, and had a significant aha! moment. I would absolutely recommend Catherine as a practitioner.” – Dawn, Massage Therapist
One of the biggest challenges of a stressful lifestyle is that it’s soooo hard to find the time to deal with the stress. At Healing Ways, my stress management programs are designed for women who don’t have the time for stress management and relaxation programs.
I’m Catherine Collins. I’m a nurse practitioner and health educator who’s certified in several proven healing modalities. I understand the challenges that make it hard for you to deal with stress and I’ve designed my practice with that in mind. This is why my practice includes:
- Relaxation techniques that take just a few minutes, so you can fit them into your busy day. Later on, I’ll tell you about a technique that takes less than a minute.
- Sessions in Therapeutic Touch, Reflexology, and Integrative Imagery. If you can only fit one session in, that’s fine. If you can fit in more, you will experience the benefits of the cumulative sessions.
- Stress management coaching programs that are tailored just for you. We’ll work together to create an individualized plan that fits into your lifestyle.
- Saturday and evening appointments, times that work better than the usual 9 to 5 hours when most of us need to be at work.
- Last but not least, no judging! You’re unique. You have unique needs. I listen to that and work with you to find a plan you can work into the reality of your day-to-day life. I’m not going to say, “You need to find time to meditate every day” or “This is how you need to be breathing. You need to do it every day.” Maybe you can’t. Maybe you can do it twice a week. That’s great! And you might get to do it more often later on.
What I Offer
- Private stress management coaching, individualized for each client
- Integrative Imagery
- Therapeutic Touch®
- A monthly TGI&F Meditation Circle
- A Women’s Healing Circle
The Women’s Healing Circle is only held once or twice a year, so contact me at Catherine@HealingWaysConcord.com if you’d like to be on the list to be notified when it’s offered.
I also offer a variety of workshops available to schools, corporations, community groups, etc. Those that are open to the public will be listed on my Events page.
I wish I had some miraculous success stories to share with you. I don’t. This kind of healing doesn’t work that way. Healing is an ongoing, dynamic process. You probably won’t get an instant epiphany and be stress-free for life. But you will feel better and over time you’ll get better and better at managing your time and your stress. And you’re likely to heal faster and have less pain. Here are some success stories.
A friend who had knee pain came to try Reflexology. She was amazed that her knee pain went away, at least for the day.
A client who had been diagnosed with breast cancer came to me for a series of Therapeutic Touch sessions. She was dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety. She found the sessions very grounding, very comforting, and helpful as she was going through the process of dealing with this diagnosis.
A couple of years ago a woman came to me who had just suffered some losses, had moved, and had started a new job. She found the techniques I offered and the fact that I listened to her – that I was able to truly hear her – very helpful. She successfully incorporated some of the breathing techniques to help her sleep and as a break during her busy work day. She found the sessions helped her cope with the stress and loss in her life.
Some of the techniques I share with my clients, such as the breathing techniques used by the last client described, will give you relief in just five minutes or less. The relaxation response is elicited during exhalation, so pay close attention to this phase. Here’s that simple technique I promised to tell you about earlier:
The 4-7-8 Breath
This is a technique Dr. Andrew Weil adapted from ancient Yogic breathing practices. It takes less than two minutes – and that’s only if you’re patient. If you’re like most of my clients, you won’t have the patience to breathe slowly and it’ll take less than a minute. And that’s fine! Just don’t rush through it and be sure to maintain a steady pace.
I love how simple this is. All you’re doing is breathing in for four counts, holding for seven, then exhaling for eight. There’s a little more to it than that, but not much. The best part is, you can breathe at your own pace. But do be sure to do the entire exercise at the same pace, following the same rhythm. Eventually, you will be able to breathe at a slower pace.
- Place the tip of your tongue behind your top front teeth, touching the roof of your mouth. Keep your tongue in that position throughout the exercise.
- First, exhale with your mouth open, making a whooshing sound.
- Next, inhale for a count of four.
- Hold for a count of seven.
- Exhale for a count of eight, again making a whooshing sound.
- Repeat three more times.
It’s important that you don’t repeat the process more than four times in one sitting. But you can do this as many times as you like during the day. Here is a link to the video on Dr. Weil’s website that demonstrates the technique.
He says in the video that you must do this twice a day. It’s ideal if you can get into a routine of doing it once in the morning and once at night. If you can do that for a month, it’s okay to increase the repetitions to eight. But don’t get hung up on that. It’s better to do it whenever you feel stressed than to start feeling like you must do it twice a day.
If that doesn’t work for you, don’t worry, there’s more!
I have several more quick tips, all designed for you to fit into your busy lifestyle. They include breathing techniques, movement, sound recordings, grounding techniques, progressive muscle techniques, imagery about a favorite place, and more. Many can be done in five minutes. ALL can be built upon for a longer practice as time allows.
In my one-on-one sessions, I teach the techniques that are likely to best suit you. My private coaching sessions include an initial health intake, an individualized plan that takes your real life into account, including any limitations such as parenting, working a demanding job, health issues, etc.
If you’d like to find out more about my coaching or workshops, or if you’d like to book a session in Integrative Imagery, Reflexology, or Therapeutic Touch, contact me at 781-786-1943 or at Catherine@HealingWaysConcord.com. You can find out more about all of those options on my Services page. You can also find out about upcoming and ongoing events on my Events page.